Sunday, October 25, 2009

pancake snobs



oh. my. delicious!!!  this is our usual sunday morning routine.  family recipe buttermilk pancakes with assorted toppings.  this has been a tradition in the porter family as long as i can remember.  most sundays i woke up to the familiar smell of these ridiculously delicious pancakes.  i must admit, i rarely had pancakes made from any ready-mix pancake box.  i think the first time was in my teens at a friends house.  it was very disheartening, i admit.  i was truly spoiled to have only known these.  boy am i grateful!  nothing comes close to my grandpa's recipe!  to pass on the tradition, it is my husband's responsibility to make them each time.  it is just how it is.  i prepare the toppings, which vary from powdered sugar and nutella, to bananas, strawberries, crushed chocolate chips, maple syrup (sometimes homemade- per stephen), blueberries or homemade strawberry freezer jam.  the possibilities are endless really!  i get giddy just thinking about eating them!  how can one not?  just look at that!  and the size is another important matter.  the pancakes are not to be small.  this would be herecy.  large, round pancakes; the size of a large plate.  butter is promptly placed thereon before it leaves the griddle pan.
want some?  we are no strangers to sharing this must-eat breakfast.  put your name on the sign-ups and we'll have ya over!  (oh ye special neighbor, you know who you are.  know that ye are always invited!)



6 comments:

Robin Baker - The Blessed Hippie said...

beautiful pics =)

Nick said...

Mmmmm...those look very good! I guess we'll have to come to San Diego to try them. I'm sure the pancakes are delicious but with Nutella even cardboard tastes good :). Karli's family have a tradition of Swedish pancakes which are crepe-like. Of course the toppings are very important.

Nina said...

best pancakes ever, seriously. so good.

flip flop mama said...

Yum!!

shayla said...

I just want to reach through my screen and take a big bite! YUM!

Lissy said...

I am not usually a pancake person but this post makes me want to beg for your recipe - maybe I'm not a pancake person because I've never had yours? Did you take those photos? They are awesome! It can be pretty tricky to take a good photo of food.